KITCHARI the complete food
Ever heard of Kitchari? Well, it’s my favorite food ever – super easy to make, filling without being heavy, healing, and balancing for all constitutions. It’s easy on the digestive system, which means that if your energy isn’t being spent processing your food, then you have more enegery to process other things like love, life, and liberty!
My friends, I present to you a recipe for healing. Do this. It’s awesome. You’ll need:1 cup basmati rise
1/2 cup mung beans
1 tblsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 cup coconut shredded + unsweetened
1 tblsp sesame seeds
1. Wash beans and rice twice (ooh, that rhymes!) Let soak for a few hours if possible. If not, 30 minutes of soaking is fine as well.
2. Boil 4 cups of water.
3. Grind coconut and sesame. A coffee grinder dedicated to herbs is a great addition to a kitchen.
4. In a saucepan, melt ghee. Add all spices. Add beans and rice. Stir fry uncooked grains. Heat activates the grains to become easier to digest.
5. Add water to grains. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low.
6. Stir occasionally. Once all water has evaporated, the kitchari is done! Takes 25m or so. Best to make just what you need for the day. The recipe above is good for two. So invite a friend or cut the quantities in half for one.
7. Add lemon and salt to taste. Enjoy!